Washington DC Rally by Coalition Against Nukes 9/20/2012
- 00:06 Mitsuhei Murata, Japan’s former Ambassador to Switzerland
- 10:47 Arjun Makhijani, author of Carbon-Free and Nuclear-Free: A Roadmap for U.S. Energy Policy and world renowned nuclear expert
- Dr. Catherine Thomasson, Executive Director of Physicians for Social Responsibility
- 19:22 Mariko Bender makes a passionate appeal on behalf of Children of Fukushima and the World Network for Saving Children From Radiation.
Coalition Against Nukes organized a 3-day rally in Washington DC from Sep. 20th. This congressional briefing for our representatives, sponsored by Representative Dennis Kucinich’s congressional office, had several aims.
- It is meant to focus attention on the medical effects of radiation exposure.
- Call for the phase out of nuclear power beginning with the rapid closure of Mark I and Mark 2 boiling water reactors in the US, in concert with plans to meet our energy needs through conservation, efficiency and renewable energy sources. We also call for the decommissioning of any reactors with serious safety concerns or located in a seismic/tsunami prone area.
- It is meant to heighten the focus on the continuing catastrophe in Fukushima, Japan and especially in regards to spent fuel pool in the number 4 Reactor which will hopefully still be intact by September and this in relation to our unresolved issue of nuclear waste disposal here in the United States.