Wed

Jul

2014

A Tokyo doctor who has moved to western Japan urges fellow doctors to promote radiation protection: A message from Dr. Mita to his colleagues in Kodaira, Tokyo

Dr. Mita (Photo from Mamarevo magazine)
Dr. Mita (Photo from Mamarevo magazine)

Doctor MITA Shigeru, who recently moved to Okayama-city, Okayama prefecture, to open a new clinic there, wrote a short essay in the newsletter published by Association of Doctors in Kodaira, metropolitan Tokyo.

Although the target readers for this essay were not the general public, it has been cited in a weekly e-mail magazine published by journalist KINOSHITA Kouta, who has been organizing actions to urge people to leave radiation affected areas (including Tokyo) since 3.11, 2011.

On many occasions, public talks and gatherings, both Dr. Mita and Mr. Kinoshita have acknowledged the danger of radiation and they have called out for immediate action for radiation protection.

In November 2013, WNSCR translated an essay that Dr. Mita wrote for parents concerned about radiation: (Please read the article here). Despite the interests of many parents in Japan, there are very few doctors who show serious concern on the issues of radiation, and commenting on the issue publicly is even rarer.

It is the opinion of WNSCR that Dr. Mita’s views have significant meaning for the general public, especially for those who are interested in the health impact of radiation on the general population. We have permission to translate a new essay of Dr. Mita, through Mr. Kinoshita

NOTE: The copyright of the following letter belongs to Dr. Shigeru MIta. If you wish to site the English text or translate it into another language, please contact KINOSHITA kouta, the representative of Dr. Mita in Japan, at nagaikenji20070927@yahoo.co.jp (Your name and URL must be included in the contact). Please not that translated texts may be used by Dr. Mita and Mr. Kinoshita. The Website of KINOSHITA kouta : http://blog.goo.ne.jp/nagaikenji20070927

Why did I leave Tokyo?

Shigeru Mita ( Mita clinic)

To my fellow doctors,

I closed the clinic in March 2014, which had served the community of Kodaira for more than 50 years, since my father’s generation, and I have started a new Mita clinic in Okayama-city on April 21.

I had been a member of the board of directors in the Kodaira medical association since the 1990’s, the time I started practicing medicine at my father’s clinic. For the last 10 years, I had worked to establish a disaster emergency response in the city.

In Tokyo, the first mission of the disaster response concerns how to deal with earthquakes.

In the event of a South Eastern Earthquake, which is highly expectable, it is reasonable to assume a scenario of meltdown in the Hamaoka nuclear power plant in Shizuoka prefecture, followed by radiation contamination in Tokyo.

I have been worried about the possibility of radiation contamination in Tokyo, so I had repeatedly requested the medical association, the municipal government and the local public health department to stock medical iodine. However, every time my request was turned down; the reason given was that Tokyo did not expect such an event. Hence there was no plan for preparing for the event.

In the afternoon of March 11, 2011, Tokyo experienced slow but great motions in the earthquake. I thought, “now this is what’s called long-period seismic motions. The South Eastern Sea earthquake, with the following Hamaoka NPP accident, are finally coming”. Instead, the source of the earthquake was in Tohoku. The temperature of the reactors in Fukushima Daiichi NPP rose and it caused massive explosions, followed by meltdowns and melt-through.

It is clear that Eastern Japan and Metropolitan Tokyo have been contaminated with radiation.

Contamination of the soil can be shown by measuring Bq/kg. Within the 23 districts of Metropolitan Tokyo, contamination in the east part is 1000-4000 Bq/kg and the west part is 300-1000 Bq/kg. The contamination of Kiev, the capital city of Ukraine, is 500 Bq/kg (Ce137 only). West Germany after the Chernobyl accident has 90 Bq/kg, Italy has 100 and France has 30 Bq/kg on average. Many cases of health problems have been reported in Germany and Italy. Shinjuku, the location of the Tokyo municipal government, was measured at 0.5-1.5 Bq/kg before 2011. Kodaira currently has 200-300 Bq/kg contamination.

I recommend all of you to watch the NHK program, “ETV special: Chernobyl nuclear accident: Report from a contaminated land”, which is available on Internet. I think it is important to acknowledge what people who visited Belarus and Ukraine, and heard the stories of the locals, have seen and felt there, and listen to those who served in rescue operations in Chernobyl in the past more than 20 years.

Their experience tells them that Tokyo should no longer be inhabited, and that those who insist on living in Tokyo must take regular breaks in safer areas.

Issues such as depopulation and state decline continue to burden the lives of second and third generation Ukrainians and Belarusians today, and I fear that this may be the future of Eastern Japan.

Since December 2011, I have conducted thyroid ultrasound examinations, thyroid function tests, general blood tests and biochemical tests on about 2000 people, mostly families in the Tokyo metropolitan area expressing concerns on the effects of radiation. I have observed that white blood cells, especially neutrophils, are decreasing among children under the age of 10. There are cases of significant decline in the number of neutrophils in 0-1 year-olds born after the earthquake (<1000). In both cases, conditions tend to improve by moving to Western Japan (Neutrophils 0-->4500). Patients report nosebleed, hair loss, lack of energy, subcutaneous bleeding, visible urinary hemorrhage, skin inflammations, coughs and various other non-specific symptoms.

Kodaira, in western Tokyo, is one of the least-contaminated areas in Kanto; however, we began to notice changes in children’s blood test results around mid-2013 even in this area. Contamination in Tokyo is progressing, and further worsened by urban radiation concentration, or the effect by which urban sanitation systems such as the sewage system, garbage collection and incineration condense radiation, because contaminated waste is gathered and compressed. Data measured by citizens’ groups showed that radiation levels on the riverbeds of Kawabori River in Higashiyamato and Higashimurayama in Tokyo have increased drastically in the last 1-2 years.

Other concerns I have include symptoms reported by general patients, such as persistent asthma and sinusitis. The patients show notable improvement once they move away.

I also observe high occurrences of rheumatic polymyalgia characterized by complaints such as “difficulty turning over,” “inability to dress and undress,” and “inability to stand up” among my middle-aged and older patients. Could these be the same symptoms of muscle rheumatism that were recorded in Chernobyl?

Changes are also noticeable in the manifestation of contagious diseases such as influenza, hand-foot-and-mouth disease and shingles.

Many patients report experiencing unfamiliar symptoms or sensing unusual changes in their bodies. Perhaps they feel comfortable speaking to me, knowing that my clinic posted signs informing of possible radiation-related symptoms immediately after the nuclear accident. Many young couples with small children and women worried about their grandchildren visit my clinic and earnestly engage in the discussion, and there is not a single patient who resists my critical views on the impacts of radiation.

Ever since 3.11, everybody living in Eastern Japan including Tokyo is a victim, and everybody is involved.

We discovered that our knowledge from the discipline of radiology was completely useless in the face of a nuclear disaster. The keyword here is “long-term low-level internal irradiation.” This differs greatly from medical irradiation or simple external exposure to radiation. I do not want to get involved in political issues; nonetheless, I must state that the policies of the WHO, the IAEA or the Japanese government cannot be trusted. They are simply far too distanced from the harsh realities that people in Chernobyl still face today.

The patients from Eastern Japan that I see here in Okayama have confirmed the feelings that I have had for a long time, since I was based in Tokyo. People are truly suffering from this utter lack of support. Since 3.11, mothers have researched frantically on radiation to protect their children. They studied in the midst of their hostile surroundings in Tokyo, where they could no longer trust either government offices or their children’s schools. Family doctors were willing to listen about other symptoms, but their faces turned red at the slightest mention of radiation and ignored the mothers’ questions. Mothers could not even talk openly to friends anymore as the atmosphere in Tokyo became more and more stifled.

I believe that it is our duty as medical doctors to instruct and increase awareness among the Japanese public. This is our role as experts, having knowledge of health that the general public does not possess. Three years have quickly passed since the disaster. No medical schools or books elaborate on radiation sickness. Nevertheless, if the power to save our citizens and future generations exists somewhere, it does not lie within the government or any academic association, but in the hands of individual clinical doctors ourselves.

Residents of Tokyo are unfortunately not in the position to pity the affected regions of Tohoku because they are victims themselves. Time is running short. I took an earlier step forward and evacuated to the west. My fellow doctors of medicine, I am waiting for you here. And to the people in Eastern Japan still hesitating, all my support goes to facilitating and enabling your evacuation, relocation, or a temporary relief in Western Japan.

(Translation by WNSCR team)

Write a comment

Comments: 20
  • #1

William Zhangsun (Friday, 18 July 2014 01:21)

The only way the current fatal development of radiation contamination of the world from Fukushima can be slowed n combatted is to drag those political leaders who are responsible like Abe n Obama into the widely suffering scene by the people effected n charge those leaders with Crimes Against Humanity. This practice may keep the political leaders from protecting their financial contributors over their citizens.

• #2

Dr. Goodheart (Friday, 18 July 2014 03:55)

Thanks for taking this public!

2014 - Tokyo, Japan; Is It Safe To Visit or Live In, After The Fukushima Mega Nuclear Disaster? via @AGreenRoad

• #3

harvey wasserman (Friday, 18 July 2014 04:10)

this is important. i have linked it at www.nukefree.org

• #4

cathy (Friday, 18 July 2014 04:20)

Since the beginning of the Fukushima nuclear disaster, I have published on my blog advice, recommendations, warnings, predictions in order to help the uninformed population. The most URGENT and repeated advice was : EVACUATE ! By mid-April, it was urgently advised to evacuate Tokyo ; the Government got informed innumerous times (find all messages sent on my blog), but did never respond.
    Please help to get the link to ATTENTIONDANGERFUKUSHIMA known in order to help people.
    I am looking for a direct contact to an independant Japanese journalist ; maybe you could help me.
    Blessings to you !
    P.S. I'm medium serving as messenger

• #5

cathy (Friday, 18 July 2014 04:21)

please read : by mid-April 2011 !!

• #6

Logosky (Friday, 18 July 2014 05:50)

It is a great and responsible decision to bring this public. I have no word but thank you for your honesty towards your fellow citizens. We had beeen writing about that for long to know that japanese do not react to foreigners' advices.

• #7

Justin Case (Friday, 18 July 2014 19:18)

I have a filtering material that replaces window screen. Capable of filtering air down to the micron level. Keeps all types of dust out of the home. Anyone interested?

• #8

Louis Gatto (Saturday, 19 July 2014 05:01)

Thank you for your Honesty and Integrity -traits sorely mission in today's world.

As a resident of San Francisco, I fear we will pay a high price also in the coming years.

• #9

Greg Meyerson (Sunday, 20 July 2014 00:23)

Here are measurements in microgray/hr. Harvey: is this all made up?

Here are some soil numbers: http://monitoring.tokyo-eiken.go.jp/radiation_geo.html

The Bq/m2 for cesium isotopes resemble numbers in this article. perhaps there has been a confusion of Bq/kg and Bq/m2? but in any case, these numbers do not translate into high dose. You might get some confirmation before advocating the evacuation of Tokyo. If Tokyo did need to be evacuated, you would expect elites to evacuate, wouldn't you? Let's see if it happens.

• #10

michael nichols (Sunday, 20 July 2014 14:21)

Dear Dr. Shigeru Mita
    Shortly after the March 2011 incident at Fukishima, I contacted the Lawrence Livermore Laboratory to propose testing the validity of a method for the purpose of reducing the effects of exposure to ionizing radiation. The method creates a condition similar to electrolysis but creates a reverse effect utilizing 3 common household items to draw out from the body ionized particles and stabilizes cellular DNA/RNA from the damaging effects of exposure to nucleotides. They informed me recently of positive mid-range results during the intervention phase of testing and anticipate completion of testing by the Fall of 2014. The mid-range studies indicate the method is effective for people who have received mild to moderate doses beyond what is considered beyond normal background levels. Because I could not obtain a grant to cover the expenses for testing I offer the method through a down load e-book available on my website: www.symptomsofradiationpoisoning.com
    Please check my website and consider my method as a gift to your people. The method does not utilize the taking of iodine pills, supplements or dietary concerns.
    Respectfully Michael Nichols/
    Inquiries: P.O. Box 180
    Halaeiwa, HI 96712 USA
    ph. 808-637-6512 cell # 808-341-2903

• #11

Donald McGrath (Monday, 21 July 2014 19:28)

Can this letter be reproduced in whole on other websites with no copyright issues?

• #12

Cal (Tuesday, 22 July 2014 05:01)

Dr. Mita is full of it. He's either lying or just stupid.

• #13

E Cooke (Tuesday, 22 July 2014 06:33)

I'm grateful for your posting this.
    Please inform a link to the original Japanese article. It is important to allow more Japanese to read this, too.
    Thank you for your attention.

• #14

itsanuclearwar (Wednesday, 23 July 2014 16:33)

Dr. Shigeru Mita has taken the high road and should be held in high regard for taking the lead in this regard. It appears that most in his profession and others that are in a position to make a difference regarding this issue have failed miserably to answer the call of duty. With the new repressive laws and government in Japan Dr. Mita should be given the utmost respect and I consider him courageous and even a hero. We are in dire need of more men in the world like him. Spread the word and shut down nuclear everything! Step up and be counted.

• #15

Vitapect Guru (Friday, 25 July 2014)

For those that cant move away, there are decontamination protocols used successfully in Belarus after Chernobyl.

The EU financed development of a supplements that removes 63% of radiation from the body,

www.vitapect.org

• #16

Dan Lowe (Monday, 28 July 2014 07:54)

Read up a bit on vitapect because I was worried it was a terrible scam (and maybe it still is) but it looks like there is a handful of reseearch and real world results from giving apple pectin regiments to prevent uptake of certain kinds of radioactive material. This bibliography has more info: http://farmwars.info/?p=8597

• #17

peter (Thursday, 31 July 2014 00:24)

Some very silly entries here. Japan is operating state secrecy. They aren't telling true things.

• #18

Carol Wolman, MD (Sunday, 03 August 2014 11:24)

I want to refer readers to an article I just wrote: http://www.opednews.com/articles/Brave-Japanese-Doctors-by-carol-wolman-MD-Fukushima-140731-861.html

which features Dr. Mita's letter. In the light of his insights, it's criminal to hold the 2020 Summer Olympics in Tokyo. Please sign the petition

And I would like to be in touch with Dr. Mita- my email is cwolman@mcn.org

Peace, Carol Wolman, MD

• #19

George (Friday, 28 August 2015 23:03)

I have been searching in vein for someone to tell me how to quantify the risk of hot particle injestion in Tokyo in 2015. Does anyone have any views? As far as I can tell, there was very little investigation of the cause and effects of the various hot spots found in Chiba, Tokyo etc after Fukushima. Seems like a big media cover up. And I guess these particles cannot be easily found and measured. With steam continuing to spew out of the reactors many people think situation is getting worse. Views anyone?

• #20

Adam Trombly (Saturday, 22 October 2016 14:29)

I want to thank Dr. Mita for his ongoing efforts and his great courage. He is one of the few Doctors in Japan who are honoring their oath to, "Do No Harm"!
    The situation in the entire Tokyo metropolitan region is dire. People of all age groups are suffering horrible forms of morbidity as the direct result of chronic exposure to the highly elevated radiation levels that are present 24/7/365 in that entire region. How many have to die before the problem is acknowledged?